Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova said she is “fortunate to be alive” after being injured in a knife attack at her home on Tuesday.
Kvitova, 26, has been treated for a left-hand injury – her playing hand – following the incident in the eastern Czech town of Prostejov.
“I am shaken,” said Kvitova, adding: “The injury is severe and I will need to see specialists.”
The incident was described by her publicist Karel Tejkal as a burglary.
“It was a random crime, nobody was going to attack or rob her as Petra Kvitova,” Tejkal said.
Kvitova is ranked 11 in the world and has won a career total of 19 titles, including Grand Slam victories at Wimbledon in 2011 and 2014.
“Thank you for all your heartwarming messages.
“As you may have already heard, today I was attacked in my apartment by an individual with a knife. In my attempt to defend myself, I was badly injured on my left hand.
“I am shaken, but fortunate to be alive. The injury is severe and I will need to see specialists, but if you know anything about me I am strong and I will fight this. Thank you all again for your love and support and now I would appreciate some privacy while I focus on my recovery.”
Former champion was on the way back
Kvitova had announced earlier on Tuesday that a foot injury forced her to withdraw from January’s Hopman Cup in Perth, Australia.
She had only returned from pre-season training in Lanzarote last week, despite her right foot requiring a protective boot for much of the time.
It meant her hopes of playing in the first Grand Slam of the season were already doubtful, with the Australian Open getting under way on 16 January.
Kvitova had finished the 2016 season strongly, picking up titles in Wuhan and Zuhai, as well as winning the Women’s Tennis Association’s annual sportsmanship award, for the fourth year in succession.